Chris and Steph's Infertility Journey

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Recovery sucks!

I thought it would be easier. I assumed I'd be back to normal by now. At least 90% or so. Not so! I called the clinic Friday because I didn't think it was normal to still be in this much pain/discomfort 4 days after surgery (although it IS only 4 days...). They had me come in and checked the uterine catheter. My doc is out of town, but another doc checked it. Wow, was I in for a shock. If you have a weak stomach, skip the next paragraph.

Apparently, there's about 4" of extra tubing that they just stuffed up in my vagina and she pulled this out to see if that was pinching and causing the pain. She had me walk around with it hanging out to see if I wanted to keep it that way until they could remove it next Wednesday. That was very awkward. And it didn't ease the pain. It's more in my belly and it's normally only when I'm sitting up. I'm ok if I'm laying down. I can even stand up and walk around for a while, though I found out yesterday I get pretty tired pretty quick. Anyway, the doc stuffed it all back up there and said that the only other option is to drain 1cc of fluid from the foley, but there is a risk of it falling out and my uterus would not heal properly. I told her that was not an option. I would just have to deal with it.

I explained my concern of going back to work on Monday as planned and the discomfort of sitting for 8 hours, since 5 minutes seems to hurt. She suggested that I don't go back to work until after my post-op appointment, which is when the catheter will be removed. I think that's a great idea. That means a lot of paperwork, since the length of time means it's short-term disability, but right now my health and my future baby is the most important thing. Oh, and the pain is probably contractions/cramping of my uterus around the balloon/foley and sitting up causes more pressure and makes it worse.

Another problem I'm having is my emotions. OMG, they are horrible. These hormone pills are screwing me up bad. I'll be fine one minute, then just start bawling my eyes out. Two minutes later, I'm fine. It's crazy. I go through this 4-5 times a day. Poor Chris. He's been a real trooper through all this. I wouldn't want to deal with me if I didn't have to! LOL.

Tomorrow is my cancer removal appointment. I'm a little nervous because I'm not looking forward to getting my forehead cut on. And I don't have anyone to go with me. Chris can't take off work any this week. I hate to ask anyone else to miss work for me. I'm sure I'll be fine. I've had this done 3 times before, I'll just close my eyes and think happy thoughts. Maybe I'll treat myself to a nice lunch afterwards.

That's all for now. I really hope the pain goes completely away once this thing is removed from my uterus. I'm going back to work Thursday and I'm going to have a lot to catch up on. I won't have time to worry about how I feel at that point. Oh, and I'm really tired of feeling guilty because I'm not recovering as quick as other people who have had laps done. I have to keep reminding myself that these other people did NOT have their uterus cut on or go home with a balloon in there and tubing stuffed up in them (which, by the way, loops of it keep falling out and I have to keep stuffing it back up there, NOT FUN). The lap part doesn't even hurt anymore. Sure, the bruise across my belly looks nasty and it's a little sore, but not a big deal. I think I'd be at that 90% if it weren't for the septum. So, I can't keep comparing my recovery period to other people who didn't have that. So far, I haven't talked to anyone who had that done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home