Chris and Steph's Infertility Journey

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The good, the bad, and the scary

Good: we have a solid plan
Bad: the plan doesn't last long
Scary: injectibles and IVF are coming soon

I had my 'what's next if this one fails' appointment today. I LOVE my RE. He's the nicest, most caring doctor and he's the founder and director of one of the two fertility clinics in Nashville. I have to have a plan in place at all times, so this appointment was very comforting for me. We went over a lot, so pull up a chair.

He feels confident of the timing of the IUIs since each time it was 15-17 days after the IUI that I got AF. That's how they judge the timing of past cycles. Last one was 17 days and I expressed my concern that my temp didn't rise for 2 days after the IUI and showed him my BBT chart. He looked at it and said it does appear that the timing was off, but it was unlikely. He also said this cycle is perfect. My lining is great, I had two mature follicles, the timing was impeccable. He said it's not common to see follicles that nice on Clomid. He was very pleased and very hopeful for this cycle.

That being said, we decided on what to do if it fails. I will be attending an injection class next week so I'll be ready if/when that time comes. Next cycle, I'll order 3-6 vials of sperm (I'm thinking 3). I'll have another HSG in my follicular phase to make sure my surgery was successful and everything is still clear. I'll take 100mg of Clomid (this is double what I've taken in the past).

If that cycle fails, we'll move on to FSH injections, unless I O'd nicely on Clomid, then we may give it one more. The max amount of cycles on injections is two, after which we'll pull out the big guns. IVF is our only other option if I want to carry a baby.

I asked if I would need another lap for the endo and he said he was a little concerned about the nodule. Apparently, they found a mass of endo (different from regular endo) and it was on my rectum, so they couldn't completely remove it. He also said my chances go down after each lap, so he didn't want to do anymore. IVF is a way around that, since endo wouldn't affect that.

I asked him if we still had the option of IVF/ICSI with Chris' sperm, given the newest results. He said we would have to do another FSH test on him (high FSH indicates testicular failure and it was borderline high in September) and one more SA. If his FSH increased and his count decreased, it is unlikely we'll be able to use his. Either way, he wants us to have a donor backup if/when we begin IVF. If they can't get a few good sperm from Chris, they can resort to the donor. I asked again if his SA indicated anything bad, like testicular cancer, and the doc seemed to think there was no medical problem like that. They did a LOT of blood tests (about $1200 worth) on Chris back in September and he was ok. I guess it just happens to some men. Just like some women have early ovarian failure, maybe?

I'm happy that we have a plan, but I'm scared. I hope we don't have to worry about any of this, but you never know. As my mom said, this is going to end up being the million dollar baby. Actually, we're only up to $28,000+ so far, in total billed amount. IVF will add another easy $15k. I hope our baby always realizes how much s/he was wanted!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home